I’ve been tagged by the lovely Jessika of polish insomniac recently and I don’t do these a lot, so I figured why not? I broke the rules by not following them, but I’m just doing this for fun really (and as a filler post for today).
Here are the questions Jessika tagged me with:
1) What’s your favorite green polish? For now, Glitter Gal Deep Green:
2) What brand of cosmetics would you buy more of, if money was no object? Chanel probably
3) In the age of blogs, do you still subscribed to magazines, and if so which ones? Cosmopolitan, had Wired but it expired and I didn’t renew – ha!
4) Cat person? Dog person? Other? Both
5) Do you follow any professional sports? What teams? None really :)
6) Does your significant other support your beauty habit? I think so….
7) Twitter or Facebook? Twitter
8) Mac or PC? PC
9) Where’s your favorite place to shop? Amazon.com
10) What lipstick brand would you choose over all others? Lancome
11) You can’t live without _______? My people
Hope y’all learned a thing or two that’s interesting about me from this! ;)
I spent 2 days right after Christmas in New York with my cousins and their loves. The weather was just perfect. It wasn’t even close to freezing at all! I was very pleasantly surprised! Here are some pictures I’d like to share with y’all.
The day after those pictures were taken, my cousin and her hubby took me to Momofuku’s and lemme tell ya…..wow. Definitely get the pork buns…..the pork belly is so good. It’s an unbelievable experience. I loved it. ‘Til next year at least New York!
As many of you remember, I went back to the Philippines, country of my birth, back in July. I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow nail blogger face-to-face for the very first time. I found it ironic that the circumstances of me meeting my first fellow nail blogger didn’t happen in the US, where I am now based. Pam of Polish Police was so easy to talk to. We just hit it off and talked about everything under the sun. She showed me where to get all the Asian brand polishes I was looking for. I wish I had more time to get to know her better. She’s just one of those kind of people you meet in your life, where time flies by when you’re with them. I’m glad I had that opportunity and for the fact that our friendship continued even after that. Recently, she flew into the US and I immediately asked for an address I can ship some goodies to her to. Her birthday just passed too, so I made sure I picked something out just for that as well. Before she left the Philippines, she asked me for a list of what I’ve been looking for. She apologized in her note to me that not everything in the box she sent over was from my list, but honestly….I didn’t care! She’s too sweet to even send me what she did! And she knows me well!
I took that picture in the middle of the night. I didn’t care at that time how the picture turned out. I was overcome with emotion when I saw the contents. The odd man out in the group is from Pam’s friend, Tatin. It’s a spray to neutralize any odors and for me, it would be for my hair after coming out from a Mexican or Chinese restaurant. My hair absorbs scent easily and Tatin mentioned that Tony Moly had such a product. I told her I’d take note of it for next time when I’m there to pick one up. She must’ve remembered our tweets about it and had Pam bring it over with whatever she has to send to me. She’s too sweet to remember that! The rest are various Asian brand polishes that Pam picked up for me, with love. She even got me Cutex polishes! I mean, I couldn’t get those here!!! And glitter?! Yes, she knows me well. :)
Pam, my friend, I can’t thank you enough for the lovely package you sent to me. I loved every single thing you sent in the package, whether or not it’s on my list. I hope she loved everything I sent her too. Just like her package to me, hers is sent from me with love. :) I’ve already started shopping for her (and Tatin!) in anticipation of the next time I’m able to send her a package, via mail or in person. ♥
I have been in a funky mood lately, all chatty even when I’m very busy with work and other things. I don’t even remember what I was listening to on YouTube when I stumbled onto this girl named Ellie Goulding from the UK. She has a very pertty voice. Digging deeper to songs she covered and acoustic versions of those and her original songs among many other things, these are 2 of the songs I liked the most that she sang.
Isn’t she good? Here’s the other one I love.
I like “Lights” and “Starry Eyed” as well. I must say that her original songs are really good for remixes (and a lot has been done!). I do think that her voice is appreciated best in acoustic version. I can’t stop listening….and apparently she was the only musical performer invited to perform at the receoption of the Royal Wedding earlier this year (read about it here).
This is the first of (I hope) many series on fellow bloggers that I have met in person. Popping my “meeting a fellow nail blogger” cherry is Polish Police.
As many of you know, I have just recently returned from my 3 week visit to my family in the Philippines. While it felt short, it was just enough time for me to actually enjoy being back at work (which is good thing). My blog’s first year mark hit when I was in the air, traveling back to the US. I wanted to do a giveaway for it and all, but I was strapped for time to plan for it. But it’s okay. After all, I had this delight when I was there during my stay….
….and of course I had so many more other yummy things. That’s ice cream in 3 different flavors. My parents got a tub when we went to the grocery store some time during the first few days that I was there. The purple one is Ube, the pink one is Strawberry and the yellow one is Cheese. Haha, yes! You read that right! Cheese! There was a 4th flavor in the tub, Rocky Road, but it was gone by the time I took this shot. My favorite is Ube. It’s Purple Yam and it’s so damn good. I consume it alone or with coconut meat. *drool*
Aside from missing treats such as these there, I miss a fellow nail blogger and someone I’m proud to say I’ve become good friends with: Pam of Polish Police (or known as @turbochicken on Twitter). You can read her blog entry on our meeting here. Let me tell you, she is the ultimate shopping partner for nail polish in the Philippines. I will not recount what happened blow-by-blow since you can read it on her blog entry, but let’s just say we hit all the nail polish brand stores I wanted to see in a span of 2 hours.
And of course, we swapped some. :) The pictures aren’t the best when using flash, but here are the goodies she got me.
And I shopped more of course. Who knew that there were lots of Asian brand cosmetics in the Philippines?! I didn’t take pictures of those, but the lovely ladies I chat with on Twitter were impressed when I told them I lugged back about 200 bottles of nail polish. I was so nervous they’d be confiscated cause of some technicality or what not. They all made it safe though (no casualties!) and these beauties shown above were part of the close to 200 that I lugged back. In case you were wondering how I packed them, here’s what I did:
1) Grab a gallon sized clear resealable plastic bag. The thicker the plastic bag, the better.
2) Cut out a cardboard to the size close to the gallon sized plastic bag. I determined the size by stuffing a layer of polish in it first and seeing what width it should be. Length should not reach the resealable end, since you will need room for it to close properly and comfortably without the cardboard getting in the way.
3) Cut out smaller pieces of cardboard to act as a divider between glass surfaces that touch next to each other. Note that I am packing my polishes in one flat layer, kind of like how the pictures above this post of my swap are shown. This way, TSA and any other parties that need to inspect my luggage can see clearly the contents of the plastic bag.
4) Cut out long and thin pieces of cardboard about the size of the polish base to prevent glass bottoms from touching those in the next row.
5) Keep filling the plastic bag with polishes row by row until it is almost full. If there is enough room left for a polish to be placed horizontally, do it. This will make sure that the contents of the resealable plastic bag won’t move around.
6) Seal tightly. I also put a piece of clear tape over the bag and wrote “nail polish” on it. Just for my own peace of mind. :)
7) I packed them in between layers of towels and clothing. Make sure that there is enough in that piece of luggage prevent anything from moving around.
I will be featuring different brands and shades of polishes in the next few weeks. Some are from the swap I did and some are those that I have purchased when I met my fellow nail blogger and friend. She is one of the sweetest person I have ever met and I can’t wait to go back again and see her. We talked for hours over Filipino food during lunch and there were no awkward moments in our conversations at all! I am so glad that I have met her in my lifetime. I truly mean that. :)
I hope you guys stick around to see what these and the other polishes look like and fare!
As many of you know, I am on my 3 week vacation to the Philippines. I’ve been eating, shopping and cooking every so often. Here are just a few of the things that I’ve helped make (and consumed!) with my mom. Sorry that some of the pics are blurry. I really wanted to get clear ones and I took a hundreds of them, but these are the best that came out. Without flash, pictures shows the true colors best. Can’t be picky now though. :(
First up are cheesecakes.
Next is Angel Food Cake.
The size of the pan is H-U-G-E! See how it compares to my hand? And I don’t have teeny tiny hands either!
Then we have this delightful treat called Mine Lemes Romb.
And lastly, Pork Buns!
Ah, these are only one of the few things I will miss. :)
Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far! Weekends feel so short come Monday. I rarely post personal blog entries, but I just gotta share with y’all what song has been playing in my head over and over again for days now.
Adele is a beautiful lady with a great voice. And of course, a song that I just can’t stop listening to.
Karen of Frazzle and Aniploish tagged me with the Kreativ Blogger award, so here’s to getting a wee bit better about me. :)
The rule is to share 10 facts about yourself and then tag 10 other bloggers to do the same.
10 things about me that most of you probably don’t know….
1. I was born and raised in the Philippines. I came to the US for college in Pennsylvania and ended up working where I did my internship. I met the guy who hired me for my current job in a plane ride to Oklahoma to see my special someone. :)
2. I graduated with 3 Bachelor’s degrees in 4 years. I loved every minute of college and I meant to continue my education. I was even admitted and enrolled to get dual degrees (MBA with concentration in Energy and Marketing & Supply Chain Management and MS in MIS) at the University of Oklahoma. I didn’t end up pursuing it because as flexible as my full-time job is, I can’t get to the night classes in time with traffic and construction in the lovely state of Oklahoma.
3. I have tattoos….but they’re cosmetic! My eyebrows are tattooed on as well as my upper and lower lash line. I got them done when I was 18 and it was actually my mom’s idea. She didn’t want me to start messing with makeup when I’m in college so she figured this would hold me off on that. Guess what? It worked. I didn’t really get into makeup at all…..even now! Not much maintenance required on my end with my brows and lash lines already done!
4. I am a TV series junkie. I watch a wide variety of TV shows that ranges from drama to sci-fi to comedy. I tend to wait for a whole series I like to end before buying the DVD sets. I like to get the boxed sets for the whole series. Some that I own include Moonlight, Angel, What About Brian?, Everybody Loves Raymond, Sex and the City, and The King of Queens. I have gifted my special someone series we both like such as Seinfeld, Firefly, Jericho, and MASH. I am waiting for the boxed set for several series to come out like Cane.
5. Like Karen, I am so low maintenance when it comes to my hair that I have it cut for free every 2 years at a salon when I donate my hair. It’s straight and long, common for Asians. My hair grows like crazy.
6. I am a jumpy person. And when you catch me off-guard, I tend to let our a noise that sounds like it came from a cat. You know, like the one when cats look at you questioningly.
7. I like sparkly things. I have been dubbed as the soap magpie (proceed to #8).
8. I used to make soap. I still can, I just haven’t. I do CP (cold process) and MP (melt and pour). I have more pictures (better ones too) but Flickr only displays my last 200 and I’ve exceeded that limit. Here’s my very first MP project (please be gentle, it was my very first one!):
9. I don’t go out much unless it’s food or drinks related such as just kicking back and hanging out with the crew I work with. I couldn’t ask for a better group at work.
10. I have this “nurturing” tendency sometimes when it comes to people around me. I bake cookies and cakes and make sure that my people get them first. I also score slices of cakes for them at our work’s monthly birthday celebration when they’re away at their desk or out for lunch. I know their preferences like S likes German Chocolate best, J likes Lemon or Chocolate, R doesn’t like any Cheesecake, and Pobe likes Chocolate only.
I enjoyed this a lot. Now it’s my turn to pass it on. I’m awarding the Kreativ Blogger tag to:
Babbling Brooke features nail polish, neat recipes to try and some home projects. I love reading her stuff!
Colour Coated features swatches of the latest polish out there. She’s also the one who alerted me on the latest Sinful Colors display she spots at her local drugstores.
Do Not Refreeze is one of my favorite UK beauty bloggers. Love her makeup swatches and nail art.
Lacquer Ware For Tips And Toes features a ton of frankens as well as some polish swatches.
LaynieFingers is one of the very first nail bloggers to reach out to me. She’s such a sweetheart and she’s the one that got me continue blogging.
Let Them Have Polish is the blog I run to for Bettina polish swatches. It helps she has beautiful nails and always sports a great stamping job.
Libby’s Pink Vanity is one of my favorite blogs that features drugstore polishes.
Pass The Polish Please features some lesser known nail polishes such as the Unforgettable Moments brand from Payless (yes, the shoe store).
The Polishaholic features the latest nail polish collections out there as well as wild dusty finds.
Squared Nails is the lovely blogger that hooked me up with a lemming of mine. Watch out for this swatching fiend!
The Liebster Award is designed to bring well deserved recognition to those bloggers with less than 300 followers. If you receive the award you link back to the blogger that nominated you and nominate 3 more blogs. I got my award from the beautiful Morgan of Pass The Polish Please!
3 blogs I’m nominating:
Colour Coated – Jasmine’s a lovely blogger sporting colorful nails for the most part. She is one of the founders of the group nail blog group On Wednesdays We Wear Pink.
Polished Components -This blogger got me my 2 missing Tronicas to complete my collection. She has a neat blog that features a well-rounded collection.
Squared Nails- Emily started her nail blog on a whim and has lots of swatches already under her belt! She is left-handed so most of her swatches feature her right hand.
Taking a break from the polish part of my blog here. I’ve been tagged by Pearl and the theme seems to be “7 Things” and my answers are as follows:
7 things I have to do before I die
– get married
– own a house
– have kids
– play the violin
– go back to Hawaii
– visit that town in Africa where penguins walk around freely
– have fancy photos taken
7 things I say all the time
– Know what I’m saying?
– Good job
– You make me proud
– Makin’ it happen
7 things I am good at
– learning languages
– relating to people
– bargain shopping
– feeding people
– playing with kids
– being flexible
– hates change
– too open
– forgives too easily
– collects certain things
– likes to shop
Not tagging anyone else, but hope you guys have a good read! Happy Holidays!
He blew the judges away with this one in Bootcamp, if I remember it right. It was a unique song choice, I thought. Here he is again and I was actually nervous. Could he do better? And just when I wasn’t so sure….he did.
Off to iTunes again. This one’s a keeper.
Haunting is just one word for this performance. I am hooked. I am getting this song on iTunes. I thought the previous performance is the one I’ll definitely be getting and maybe a few more here and there but this one took the cake. Holy….
I have no words. Off to iTunes now….
My girl did it again! Cher smashed it!
Week 3 and going on strong. There are a lot of great contestants out there and I’m rooting for a couple, including Cher of course. Her performance had a lot of crazy colors, which prompted me to put on an awesome polish that the video reminded me of. Post coming up later!
I came across this interesting entry a while ago and wanted to share it with you all.
We all know that media manipulates images with photoshop to make models look better or adjust the make-up and lighting for a desired effect, as in this case, but I have never seen it laid out like this. I am a little bit in awe at how well the ages are reflected with make-up and lighting (and of course, with some photoshopping). Makes you think, eh?
I am taking the time to write a short entry about this month being Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I have a cousin who had breast cancer. Actually, she had it twice and she lived to tell the tale. She was diagnosed the first time when she was a little over 20 years old. 20…..so young. They removed the lump and she continued on with her life. A few years ago, she was again diagnosed with breast cancer. She flew to Seattle for a combination of a little personal retreat and visiting our aunt in Seattle, who later on died of cancer resulting from stomach ulcers. She was in her late 20s then. That, my friends, is still very young to me.
I remember hearing about breast cancer. I never thought my life would be touched by it. She broke the news to me one day on a phone call. We don’t see each other that often even though we lived about a 20-minute drive away from each other. I didn’t drive and had to take hours of bus transfers to get to their house and I didn’t, and wouldn’t, expect any of my cousins to pick me up just to hang out. That’s just not the way I operate. I treat the phone calls and times we have together like gold. She told me that she was diagnosed with breast cancer once again and that she has decided to have both breasts removed. She explained to me that it would be for the best, as this decreases the chance of the cancer ever coming back. I asked her if she needed anything. I would go to her. She said she’d be fine and there will be someone there for her during the surgery. I’m glad her family and friends were there for her when I couldn’t.
I remember not long after that, she picked me up and we hung out at their house. I remember us joking around with my other cousin, her younger sister, about the cancer and I even got to feel her breasts because it will no longer be there soon. I wish I could remember what it feels like, not in a perverted way or anything like that. I remember the moment but I don’t remember every single detail of it and I just wish I would because it means so much to me now than I thought it would back then.
A few weeks later, she called me up and asked if I was free on the weekend and I said yes. My other cousin, the younger sister, picked me up and we went to Philadelphia to see her. I saw her and she smiled when she saw me. I gave her a slow, light hug. I didn’t want to hurt her. I moved very gingerly around her when I had to. We talked about the surgery, the whole process, and whatever other things may come from this point onwards. She showed me her scars and I wanted to cry. I can tell how much pain she’s going though, physically and emotionally. We talked about her chances of having children too and that was when I told her that I am willing to be a surrogate if need be. I’m not clear on the medical details but a surrogate carrying her child rather than her is something to consider and may be more preferrable being that she had cancer. I offered with no hesitation and I have never wavered in my offer. A family is what she has always wanted and if I can do anything to help her attain that dream, I’d do it.
She got married last year and just got a house. She still doesn’t have any children but the last time we corresponded and touched on this subject, I reiterated my offer. It is now more difficult though, and unfortunate, being that I have moved to the lovely state of Oklahoma about 2 and a half years ago. I’ll still do it in a heartbeat if she asked, all the way from here.
Breast Cancer can strike anyone of you or someone you love. It has touched more people’s lives than you think. Take time this month to at least think about it. You don’t have to join in on any of the Breast Cancer walks or runs (although it’d be nice!) or make a donation. You just have to be aware. I was not until it was smacked right into my face, affecting someone I love dearly.
She won’t always remember as she goes on with her everyday life. I guarantee you though that she will never forget. There are many ways to catch this early. This affects not just women. It’s more rare but nearly 2,000 men are diagnosed with this disease each year. Be aware of the signs and don’t ignore them. Catch it and beat it before it’s too late.
Catchy eh? Well, yeah. If this happened in my flight (which I normally snooze at this point), I would be paying close attention. Not because it’s the safety instructions though; more of because I didn’t expect it. I must say, didn’t think of that one! It’s featured today on Yahoo! front page.
You’d perk up too, wouldn’t you? Not sure how long this is going to last because just like everything else, it will lose its effectiveness. But for now: Mabuhay!
Here’s an update on Cher Lloyd, the one I’ve been following on the UK show X-Factor. I liked her before and I like her again. She’s different, she’s a breath of fresh air, and I think she really got something that no one else does. She’s very, very unique. I don’t know how she’ll fare much later on but her style and genre….what she does is sick (in a good way). This clip is from her performance in X-Factor Bootcamp.
I think her voice is either a like it or hate it for people. It reminds me of another X-Factor finalist from….I think 2008. Remember Diana Vickers? See Simon’s comment on it.
And just like Simon, I like it. She didn’t win but she went off to do her own thing in the music industry eventually.
He probably won’t make it far, but he did make it past the first audition. :)
I think he’s adorable. He will have a tough time, but getting to the point that he did….I think he won’t regret doing it.
And here’s one to look out for….
I’m sending my warmest wishes to my very dear friend in the BVI, Sherma. She’s had a lovely day today (I spoke to her briefly to greet her a happy birthday in person, well, in the only way I could from the US) and her birthday night’s just begun. I’m hoping (and I’m actually pretty sure) she’s having a blast right now. Cheers!
A song I’ve been listening to recently a lot of is Coldplay’s “The Scientist” but the version sung by Stacey Solomon for UK’s XFactor last year. Her version is the one that sent me scrambling to hear the original version. I thought that the lyrics and riff sounds familiar but couldn’t place my finger on it. A simple Google search did the trick and I am hooked to this song like no other. Only thing is….I listened to the Coldplay version and I prefer Stacey’s version over it. Hmmm…..that statment doesn’t sound good and I’m not sure why that thought bothers me but yeah, I LOVE that song. The lyrics are so powerful and Stacey’s voice makes the song more likeable for me.
And just in case you guys have no idea what XFactor is, here is the clip for Stacey’s version of “The Scientist” from her first live XFactor perfromance last year.
I’m swatching more China Glaze polishes tomorrow. I’m crossing my fingers there will be sunshine tomorrow.
Also, if you haven’t entered my giveaway yet….what are you waiting for? Click here for details on how to enter. It ends on September 18, 2010!